Saturday, November 1, 2014

Language Qestions

What role does language have in your live?
Language is the way I can communicate with all the people around me, depending on which language does the people around me speak, I would have to learn the same language as them in order to be able to communicate with them. To summarize it up in a clean way, language is the set of sounds which create words that are arranged by some rules that allow us to use it properly and to understand perfectly the people around us.

How do you define culture?
If I had to explain with my own words what culture is, what I would respond would be that culture is basically a conjunct of things that a group of people has in common, such as language, laws, customs, and daily practices mostly.

Which culture or cultures do you identify with?
If I had to choose one culture I would say Spanish culture since I lived in Spain during fourteen years. Even though I lived in Spain, football is my favorite sport and I speak Spanish, I do not think that I can include myself in the Spanish culture. My thinking is that every person is different, and every person has his own beliefs and interests, which for me means that culture is a very relative thing. The reason why I think this is that even I am from Spain I can have the same interests as a person from America or Asia, but that does not mean that I am from any of those places.

Have you ever felt excluded from a culture due to language barriers?

Yes, many times. Mostly when I lived in Cambodia.

No comments:

Post a Comment